Tuesday, May 17, 2016

How I Almost Got Arrested Organizing This Reunion

The headline is kind of an exaggeration, but that's the way it is with us bloggers, bunch of sensationalists. My son graduated from Pratt Institute this morning.




The ceremony was at Radio City Music Hall.  So I stayed at a HO-JOs on Tonnelle Avenue and drove over to the ferry.  On the way back home I decided to stop at the school to take some pictures and also drop off a check and say hello to Pat, the church secretary who has been helping me out

So here's what the old place looks like now.










Guess what?  A 64 year old guy in a suit taking pictures of a school looks suspicious.  You know how it is.  If you see something, say something.  Somebody in the neighborhood called 911, I guess.

So by the time I got to Anderson Avenue, one of Fairview's finest indicated that he wanted to talk to me.  I told him what I was up to and that my last encounter with the department was when Bobby Einhorn and I were rolling old tires across Fairview Avenue.

He took down my information, so hopefully no Fairview kids will run away with the circus too soon.  I did pick up one piece of information relevant to the reunion.  He told me that Stanley Scoskie passed away a couple of years ago.  Although I could not find an obit.  There is one for Norman Parent.

Pat at the church might be able to help me with a list.  I had a nice chat with her after my brush with the law.  She showed me a really neat picture





It is Father McTague with Father Maguire, whom I had forgotten about.  I think he was replaced by Father Petrocci.

The current pastor is Rev. Jose Gamba.

Pat suggested that I go next door to get a sense of what the Franciscan nuns living in the convent are up to.




FCDC has implemented a comprehensive program they help people with health care, adult education, immigration assistance, food bank and counseling.

There are two sisters.  I had a nice chat with Sister Gloria.

It seems like they are doing things a lot like Father McTague used to.  Although, they probably are more organized.

I was hoping to come up with something that we could do as a class to help out and I think donations to the center would be just the thing.  I don't want to handle your money so send a check to Franciscan Community Development Center of Fairview - 239 Anderson Ave Fairview NJ and mention the class.  We'll see if it amounts to anything.

I checked out Patsy's and put down a deposit.  The cost will be $40 per person and you can just pay the restaurant at the time. One little thing though.  They don't take most credit cards. American Express and debit cards are it.  Or cash.  That works too.  It is at the corner of Bergen Blvd and Jersey Avenue



________________________________________________________________________
Peter J Reilly CPA would really like you to email him at peterreillycpa@gmail.com to say for sure that you are coming June 12th and 4:00 PM and whether you have a guest so he can get a good count.








2 comments:

  1. It's weird seeing the "PS 3" sign in the window of the school. We used to get recess on the 4th St. side and there was a diesel engine repair place right next to the school (you can see the building in one of the pics). I remember the smell coming out of there. My heart will always be in Fairview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of Stanley Skoskie's passing. His dad was our mailman and a very nice guy.

    ReplyDelete